Avoid Overwatering Your Plants!
Over-watering is generally considered the most common cause of early plant death.
How do you know if your plant is drowning?
- Does your plant have Edema — bumps, blisters or water-soaked areas on the undersides of leaves?
- Do you see both yellowing leaves and new growth falling from your plant?
- Does your plant look wilted, but the soil is wet?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, your plant is probably drowning. Now what? Hopefully, you still have time to save it.
- Move your plant out of direct sunlight even if it is a full-sun plant. Plants in shaded areas will use less water. Once the roots are healthy again, move your plant back into the sun.
- Be sure the pot is draining. If there are no drainage holes add some or repot the plant into a pot with drainage holes. Root Rot will occur when the soil is dense with water, it can limit the ability of the roots to breathe, they will then drown and begin to rot.
- Your plant roots need air. Create additional air spaces by loosening the root ball to create small air pockets between the root and the pot. This allows the soil to dry quicker and at the same time bring oxygen to the root.
- If possible, repot the plant in new soil.
- Do not fertilize. With the roots in a delicate state it can be easy to burn the roots with fertilizer.
If the plant is going to make it you should begin to see improvement in a week or so. Once the plant seems to be growing nicely move it into a sunnier location and begin fertilizing again.
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that any steps you take will revive your plant.
If you have a tendency to kill a plant with kindness, you may want to stay away from plants that are sensitive to over-watering. The best thing you can do to keep your plant healthy is to water it correctly.
- Home Improvement2019.05.075 Inspirational Ways of Using Frosted Glass For Office Space
- Home Improvement2019.05.03How Can Backsplash Glass Help To Improve Office Interior Ideally
- Home Improvement2019.05.01How to Choose an Authentic Roofing Contractor
- Gifts2019.05.0111 Marvelous Mother’s Day Gift Ideas