Increase Your Home’s Curb Appeal With A New Garage Door
Homeowners often underestimate the value that a new garage door can add to their home. A new door can increase the home’s curb appeal, save energy and keep the family safe.
Replacing the garage door ranks as one of the top five home improvement projects that generates the highest return on investment at resale, according to Remodeling magazine’s 2016 Cost vs. Value report. Homeowners can expect to recoup 91.5 percent of their investment in a new garage door.
Energy efficient garage doors are one of the newest trends. The insulation in these doors minimizes heat loss, and modern technology means that these garage doors are available in many styles. Adding insulation to your garage door can help you save energy by moderating the temperature in the garage so you’re reducing the amount of energy required to heat the rest of your home.
You might not realize it, but an attached garage is the most vulnerable point of entry into your home. Make security your primary consideration when purchasing your new garage door.
A garage door isn’t something you buy very often so you may be wondering how to approach the process; here are some questions you may want to ask.
1. What garage door design will complement my home’s architectural style? Styles will include Traditional, Contemporary or Carriage House style doors.
2. How much do garage doors cost? Once you figured out the garage door style, see what fits your budget. Garage doors are made of a variety of materials.
• Wood garage door: Wood offers the most distinctive look, however, they require more maintenance. Average cost of quality wood doors can range from $1,200 to more than $4,000.
• Steel garage door: Steel doors offer the broadest range of color, insulation, and price options. Average cost ranges from $750 to $3,500.
• Aluminum garage door: Aluminum is rust-proof and corrosion resistant; aluminum doors are durable and is the perfect choice to modernize any home. Average cost will range from $1,500 to $2,000.
• Composite wood garage door: Composite wood is durable, low-maintenance and looks like real wood, composite wood eliminates many problems found with natural wood. Average cost ranges from $1,200 to $2,200.
3. What safety features come with the door?
• Motion Detection safety function designed to stop all movement of the garage door if someone or something breaks the line of sight from the eye located on the garage door’s track system.
• Auto-Reverse function designed to change the direction of the door if it meets any obstruction or object.
• “Pinch proof” design on garage doors that prevents a finger from getting caught between the panels as the door opens or closes.
• Manual Release mechanism that will release the system so you can open or close the garage door manually when needed.
Today, the range of garage design and material options is almost endless, you can get a door that not only secures your home and enhances its curb appeal — it can improve its energy efficiency at the same time.