Fall is a beautiful time of the year filled with festivities like apple picking, pumpkin carving, and trick-or-treating. It is also one of the last times a home owner has to get their property in order for the harsh weathered months that winter brings. Here is a list of some Fall maintenance tasks that you can complete before the change of seasons occurs once again.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. Remove any leaves or debris that may have fallen in to make a clear path for upcoming rain and snow. Use a hose to check for remaining clogs and damage as they are infamous for rust and corrosion.
- Replace weather-stripping. Weather-stripping goes around windows and doors blocking cold weather from coming in and heat from escaping. By replacing these strips then you will help save in energy costs.
- Clean out vents and replace filters. Bathroom and stove vents can have buildups of lint and dust, same goes for your furnace filter. This will help prevent fires and keep energy costs down.
- Check your roof for damage. In order to prevent leaks throughout the winter months climb a ladder and inspect the top of your house keeping an eye out for worn, curled, and separated shingles. Having any damaged shingles replaced.
- Give your lawn some TLC. Cut off any dead branches, move and divide perennials, and use leaves to mulch you lawn.
- Drain and winterize. Draining and winterizing your hoses and outdoor faucets turning off the outdoor water supply until the spring.
- Fix any damage in your walk ways, drive ways, and steps helping create a safer pathway to deal with the ice and snow removal.
- Ensure your family’s safety by inspecting and replacing the batteries of your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Enjoy all the wonderful things fall has to offer but make sure to take a short amount of time to complete this list of fall maintenance tasks so you can enjoy all that winter will bring.
- Haley Fisher is an ambitious and focused Public Relations student at Roger Williams University in Bristol, Rhode Island. She has a love for social media, reading, photography, and the great outdoors. After graduating in May of 2017 she aspires to travel and use her many passions to help her become successful in the Public Relations field.